Thursday, November 20, 2008

First steps toward starting the Golf Mobile GPS project

Before jumping into the development, I decided to make some research as to what was needed to do such development. It was obvious that I needed Visual Studio 2005 or greater, but what else? I found that I needed Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK (not standard if you want to use PDA phones as your target platform), ActiveSync 4.5 (Windows XP) or greater or Windows Mobile Device Center (Windows Vista). As it turns out, Windows Mobile 6 comes pre-installed (in ROM) with .NET Compact Framework 2.0 & SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition.

Note: it was recommended that you install the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1, and if using Visual Studio 2005: Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 and the SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition Tools for Visual Studio 2005.

Since both my development machine are Windows Vista Ultimate, I set out to download the Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK and install it. My goal is to get this application working on my AT&T Tilt phone equiped with Windows Mobile 6.

Here are the links to the different components needed (other than Visual Studio):

Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK Refresh
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=06111a3a-a651-4745-88ef-3d48091a390b&displaylang=en

---- If Using Windows XP ----
ActiveSync 4.5
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9e641c34-6f7f-404d-a04b-dc09f8141141&DisplayLang=en

---- If Using Vista ----
Windows Mobile Device Center
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=46F72DF1-E46A-4A5F-A791-09F07AAA1914&displaylang=en

You can read all about what is new for developers in Windows Mobile 6 at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb278115.aspx#WhatYouNeedtoStartingBuildingWindowsMobile6Applications.

The download took a while (approx 1.5 hrs for 454 MB) and so did the setup. For good measures, I also downloaded the Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Images (USA) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3D6F581E-C093-4B15-AB0C-A2CE5BFFDB47&displaylang=en) which took about 45 mins for 272 MB.

To see if my setup is working properly, I try to run the GPS Intermediate Driver (GPSID) example (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/cc719033.aspx). My first attempt ended with an error on deployment. I looked and after a few seconds of reading the error message over, I noticed that my target was Windows Mobile 6 Professional Device and not Windows Mobile 6 Professional Emulator. So I changed that and tried again. I see the app window coming up but nothing happens when I click on GPS On, which is as expected. I then go to File | Configure and set the Shared folder path to C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Tools\GPS. This allows me to see that path, and more specifically the FakeGPS cab file in there, as if it was on a Storage Card of my emulator. I then open File Explorer and navigate to the Storage Card and click on the FakeGPS.cab file to install it. I follow the prompt and when it's done, I close File Explorer. I then go to Start menu and run Fake GPS. I enable the GPS and make sure that it has the fake GPS text file data selected and then click Done. I'm back to the GPSID app and click on GPS On and voila! I see that this sample app is working and "receiving" and displaying GPS data successfully. When I close the emulator, it prompts me if I want to save the emulator state before exiting. To save the trouble of having to redo all these configuration steps, I choose Yes.

Well this concludes the setup and testing of my setup. My next step is to figure out what I want to accomplish with my application, come up with a design and start designing the framework and UI for it.

Until next time,

Sebastien Limoges

No comments:

Post a Comment