Friday, January 30, 2009

LogMeIn to the rescue!

Have you ever been at work and realized you needed something from your home computer?  Have you tried calling to someone at home to send you what ever file you needed by email?  Worst yet, have you had to drive home due to the fact you wanted a file from your home computer?

Well, that very situation happens to me on a somewhat regular basis.  No, I'm not an air head, but I do work from home and the office, so sometimes, the latest version of my work is at home.  This has bugged me to no end.  I don't want to setup an FTP server at home just so I can access those files since then it becomes a management nightmare.  I want to be able to remotely control my machine from wherever I am (office, vacation, remote site) without having to install a bulky app.

I did some research and found LogMeIn.  Now this is a Remote Desktop software that works through the web browser.  It's encrypted, password protected and fast!  It's so good, that it's the unofficial remote desktop software that my co-worker use to work from home!  I use it to have access to both my computers at home and to troubleshoot computers of friends and family.  The great thing is there's an version that is free!  You read right, free!  If you can live without remote printing, sound & file moving, then you can use the LogMeIn Free edition.  If not, they have LogMeIn Pro for a small monthly fee.  For what I use it for, I use the free edition.  Simply go to http://www.logmein.com and create yourself an account, you'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment